Monday, February 15, 2010

Four Beetles and a Moth

While I was at the Getty Museum, I came across this painting called "Four Beetles and a Moth" by Nicholaas Struyck. Apparently, the specimens drawn on this picture are all rare. I like the way the bugs are positioned in the drawing. Two of the beetles are positioned on top of a rock while the moth and the other two beetles appear to be walking on an invisible wall.
This work of art is also done very nicely in the sense that it has great detail in each and every bug. You can see the shine coming off the bugs because of the light source. You can even see the little hairs from the beetles legs. The drawing is done so well that I can even get a sense of how the insects would feel if I were to touch them. I feel as if I could feel the hard exoskeleton all the way down to the prickly legs of each of the beetles.
I think the style of this drawing is very interesting because of the way the beetles and the moth are not bound by the laws of physics. They are just floating in space to give it that ambiguous feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment